Thursday, March 22, 2012

THE THREE G'S: GRUNGE, GLAM & GAULTIER


I first fell in love with Jean Paul Gaultier as a teen, when he designed costumes for Madonna's Blonde Ambition tour. Listen, if you're 16 and trying as hard as you possibly can to "fight the revolution" i.e. piss off your parents, telling your patient father that what you really want is a cone bra top with slit front blazer is the way to go.

Since then, I've always had a soft spot in my heart for Gaultier. (I can't speak for my Dad.) Today, I'm not as likely to rock underwear-as-outerwear as sadly, gravity has taken its toll in the, um, few years since I've seen 16. But, that rabble-rousing youngster still lurks within and the perfect solution to sate her whims, is with a little grunge. While Marc Jacobs often gets the Grunge guru title, if you ask me, the avant-garde mad-plaid offerings of JPG are absolute Nirvana.

This weekend, JPG's traveling retrospective opens at the de Young Museum in San Francisco. So, to celebrate this iconic French designer, we've just launch a special hand-curated collection of JPG, personally picked by our co-owners, Christos Garkinos and Cameron Silver. I for one, plan on lauding Mr. Gaultier by rocking one of his terrific tartan ensembles and blaring the Melvins as loud as I possibly can.

Want to go Gaultier too? Click HERE to get the Gaultier goods!